Tuesday, December 30, 2008

New Year

It's hard to believe another year is almost gone. It seems like yesterday we were in Disney World and now the year is over. We made it through another Christmas without Jerry. This one was harder for me than last year. I think because this year I realize he's not coming back. Last year I could still pretend he was in Iraq - there's no pretending now. What will the new year bring? Based on past experiences there will be some good things and some not so good things. If you don't experience some bad times then you don't know about the good times. My best friend lives in Pittsburgh and is going to have open heart surgery, probably in February. I talked to her today and she didn't sound like herself. She has so much going on in her life without facing surgery that I think this is all too much for her. Her mother-in-law is in a nursing home and my friend spends most of her time there. Her mother-in-law has a pacemaker and it has malfunctioned. It shocks her heart when she doesn't need it. They had to decide to have her operated on and have it replaced or have the device disconnected. The cardio surgeon didn't think an operation at her age would go well and he told them either way they would blame themselves. If they decided to have the operation and she didn't make it (which was the surgeon's opinion) they would feel guilty and if they didn't have the operation and something happens they will feel guilty. It's a no win situation. I will go to Pittsburgh when my friend has her surgery. If anything would happen to her and I didn't get to see her I would be devastated. So I will go and pray that things go well. When I talked to her we talked about the new year and she said she hoped that the coming year would be better than this one. I don't know. I think when you get to be our age all you can hope for is that the new year is not worse than this one. The only thing I really hope for is that my family and friends stay well and healthy. So for all of you Happy New Year. I love you all!

1 comment:

Shar said...

The time does go so fast. I can't believe it's New Year's Eve today. Dean and I have enjoyed our Christmas vacation thus far. We are going to the movies today to see Valkyrie. I let ya know how it was. Happy New Year and I love and miss you so much.