Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Glowing

Well today was the day for the BIG stress test. First get an IV - into that they inject Isotope and put me in a machine that moves around your body about 1/2 inch every 2 minutes - so this takes some time. Once that is done off we go to the stress lab. There they hook me up to all the monitors and put me on the tread mill. Every 3 minutes the tread mill goes faster and inclines so you are walking at a fast pace up hill. While this is going on they are taking your blood pressure, monitoring your heart rate, and injecting you with more Isotope. My goal was to get my heart rate up from 56 where we started to 136. I went to 132 and that was as far as I could go. So they slowly stop the tread mill. Unhook me from all the wires and take me back to radiology where I have to get into the machine again and have it move around my body taking pictures of my heart. This entire process takes 5 hours. Once done they had me a piece of paper that states I am now radioactive. I am giving off radiation. For 24 hours do not go near pregnant women - okay we have 3 teachers at school that are pregnant and stay away from small children as this may cause them to have reproductive problems in the future. So on the way back to school I call Shan and give her the low down so she can spread the word and explain to Emily why Mimi can't hug her. I see the cardiologist next week for the results of all these tests - so stay tuned. Other than not being able to hug Emily was the fact that I could not go to the school's open house tonight since all my kids would want to hug me and I would want to hug them back. Had I known all this before I would have scheduled the tests for another time. Oh well - live and learn! Here is one to ponder - if I am capable of causing harm to others because of the radioactivity what is it doing to me since it's in my body????UUUMMMMM

1 comment:

--David said...

LOL, nice touch with the glowing orange letters! :-)