Friday, August 1, 2008

Happy Birthday, Dad

Dear Dad,

Today is August 1st. and your birthday. You were born in 1925 - you would be 83 today. I can't believe you would be 83 today. You died 10 years ago this October. We had put mom in a nursing home and you were coming home from visiting her - actually you were on your way to Bill's house to eat and hang out when you were hit by a truck You lived for a week after the accident, in ICU the entire time. We had one "good" day that we thought was going to be a turn around for you, but it didn't last. When it came time for visiting in the ICCU and they come to the door and say all families can come in except the Quillen family you know things are not good. We came to find out later your heart was stopping and they working very hard to keep it going. Lots of us slept in the waiting room - the worst place in the world to try and spend a night. The night you died - early morning really - was one of the worst nights of my life, but you know what? I would not give it up for anything. It was a difficult decision to have them stop all they were doing to keep you alive and realize there were so many things wrong that eventually even that was not going to work. So we made the painful decision to have them stop all the mass medications they were pushing. We never had to "turn off" any machines - just stop the meds. We got to talk to you for the 20 or 30 minutes it took for your heart to actually stop. I was amazed at how fast it went. But, I got to tell you all the things I wanted you to know. How much I love you, what a wonderful dad you were, how proud of you I was for what you stood for and for all the important things you passed onto me and taught me by just being yourself. So Dad, where ever you are, take care of Jerry - I'm sure you and he are going some of your famous 15 minute jobs! And I know you are still taking care of Mum, like you always did. I love you, Dad, and Happy Birthday - I miss you every day! Love always, Darlene PS. Have a Bud for me and ah about the Jimmy Hendrix tape - sorry about that. Some how his tape got in Patsy Cline's tape holder. But, I'm sure since Jerry is there now he has been able to show you the finer points of the Jimmy Hendrix style and you have a greater appreciation for his music. Riiiiight!!!

No comments: