Saturday, November 1, 2008

I miss you, Dad

It is 10 years ago today that we buried my dad. He was coming home from the nursing home after spending the day with Mom. He thought he could make it and pulled out in front of a truck. He was wrong. The truck T-Boned his car. He lived in ICU for one week. The night he died we were all there. Bill, Patty, Shari, Nick, Jerry and I. I will tell you it was one of the worst nights of my life, but I would not change it for anything in the world. Once we decided to stop all the heroic attempts I got to stand at his beside and talk in his ear until the end came. I got to say all the things you wish you could say to a person that dies and you're not there, He was the kindest, most gentle man there ever was. I miss him as much today as I did back then. I love you, Dad, and wherever you are I hope you are happier than you ever were. I hope there is no pain or sorrow. Only happiness and joy and you and Mum are together again! I love you, Dad, and always will with every breath I take and every beat of my heart. - Darlene

1 comment:

--David said...

It's hard to believe it was 10 years ago. I remember driving across country to get there and you called to let us know. I wish we had been able to see him before he passed, but I have pictures (both 'real' and the ones in my head) of Pap that might have otherwise been changed. Tyler was all of three, and I remember him running around, putting smiles on faces...

I sure hope Pap is enjoying that Jimi Hendrix tape in the Patsy Cline case....