Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Okay - maybe my brother wasn't adopted

My brother, Bill, called me tonight to make sure I was okay. He knew how much of a McCain supporter I am. We talked for over an hour about several things. Of course the election was the big topic. Bill was thoughtful, concerned, and funny. He always makes me laugh and I always feel better after I talk to him. So I'm thinking maybe he wasn't adopted after all. As we talked I could hear our mother saying the same things he was saying. My mother didn't play - she spoke her mind no matter what, but she was also one of the most accepting individuals I knew. She never saw color, religion, or status of anyone. She treated everyone the same - which some of the time was not so great, at least with us kids. Bill and I talked tonight about a lady Mom worked with. Her name was Kix. She was black and worked as a cook where our mother worked as a waitress. There were many times when Mom would ride Kix home from work, now take into account this was probably 50 years ago and things were very different then. Any way, the first time she offered Kix a ride home Kix asked Mom if she should ride in the back. Our mom looked at her like she was crazy. Why in the world would she ride in the back when there was a perfectly good seat in the front and it was just Mom and Kix in the car. Kix felt that her status was lower than Mom's and didn't want to seem "uppity" as they used to say. Mom would have none of it. Kix was riding in the front with her and that was all there was to it. She always gave ya a fair shot. Now if you screwed up that was the end of you as far as she was concerned. Mom went 5 years without talking to our aunt that lived right next door to us. All over an argument they had about my cousin and me. My cousin and I had gotten into a fight about some dumb thing. My mom thought I was right and my aunt thought my cousin was right. Well that was the end of the conversation between the two of them for the next 5 years. It would have gone on longer, but my aunt came to the back door one day, opened it and threw in a hat. There was an old saying back then that if you had a fight with someone and threw your hat in their house and the hat didn't come back out then it was okay to go in and the fight was over. And so the fight was over. Mom didn't through the hat back. But that was the kind of person Mom was and I think there is a lot of her in my brother. So since I am the kind of person that will tell you how the watch is made if you ask me the time, I have taken all these words to say Bill is not adopted, he is really my brother and I love him.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yeah. I don't know where our brother get his ideas on things. Why was he for Obama? Is he nuts?
An Mummy said to me one time "the onlyway there will be no racism in this country is if every one is mulatto. The funny part is, Grandpap was sitting in the room when she said it. He was one of the biggest racists I ever knew. I don't know what prompted that statement from her. I thin there was something on television. My first encounter with black people was at the diner. Then, in first grade, I had a black teacher. Mrs. Wheeler. Mummy thought the world of her. When we went to Kennywood that year, Mummy sat on the bench with Mrs. Wheeler and I remember alot of people giving her dirty looks.
Obama isn't black. He isn't white. He's BI RACIAL. The black people think he is their answer to their problems. They are in for rude awakening, I think.