Monday, November 24, 2008

Santa Clause is coming to town

Okay, the holiday blues have gone away. I did some wrapping of presents tonight and I feel very Christmasy (is that a word). Anyway, I am thinking of putting my tree up on Wednesday. We usually wait until Friday, but I think I want to put it up a few days early - the longer to enjoy it my fine pretty. I think that's a line from some nursery rhyme or movie - oh no I know - it's from the Wizard of Oz. It's what the witch says to Dorothy. "I'll get you yet, my fine pretty". I was reading Dave's blog and getting a huge kick out of the Pittsburghese. What memories hearing those "words" brings back. We sure have a funny way of talking in Pittsburgh. Of course, none of us realized it until we moved away and people began to look at us strangely when we talked. I can remember working in Denver and the girls in the office would spell words and then ask me to say them just so they could hear me pronounce them funny. They all got quite a big kick out of my pronunciations. We never said the long i in words like fire or the o in shower - so we would say flour and flower the same way we said shower. You had to listen to whole sentence to make sure what we were talking about. Flour for baking or flower for the garden. Well, yinz all take care now!

No comments: