Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Yes, Virginia, there is a God

I know the line from the movie is "Yes, Virgina, there is a Santa Clause". But I am taking a little literary license here and changing the wording. I have known for some time that blessings sent out are given back many times over. I know, for instance, that when I give to the church offering, especially when things are tight and I give any way, sometime very soon it will come back to me. Well, recently I learned from a friend in Pittsburgh, really he was one of Jerry's best friends, that a former member of the military was suing John Murtha, the Senator from Pennsylvania, who is a loud mouth blow hard anyway. Seem these 4 men were wrongly accused of some atrocities in Iraq and found Innocent. Did this stop Murtha from defaming them? Of course not. Shades of North Carolina and the Duke Lacrosse players. Any way, Jerry's friend sends me the email address of Justin Sharrat, who lives in Cannonsburg, PA and whom Murtha has taken a personal interest in attacking. Thus ensues a law suit against Murtha for defamation among other things. Some people just don't know when to shut the duck up! So I go to the web site for Justin and they are asking for help in any way that can be provided. Now, I will grant you, I am no champion of Murtha's so this is a pretty easy call for me. So even though things a tight I write a letter to Justine and send a donation to his defense fund. Not much, but the best I could do. A little time passes and I get a letter from Justin's family. It is a form letter that they obviously send to all donors, but hand written on the bottom of the letter is a personal note to me from Justin's mom. That small personal note meant more to me than words can express. Does God stop there, no - a few days later I get a check in the mail from my cancer insurance policy because I had been paying for Jerry on the policy and since he had died and was no longer on the policy they sent me all the back premiums I had paid for him. Is God done yet? Nope. A few days after that I get a check from the state of Arkansas that I had over paid my taxes and they were sending me a refund. I am blessed with so many wonderful things in my life. The best family in the world, great friends, a wonderful job that I love, and the sweetest grandkids in the entire world. A person can not ask for more than that, and yet God just keeps giving. I don't understand the wanting to take God out of everything. No prayer in school, In God We Trust off of our money, taking "under God" out of the pledge. When did the rights of so few become more important than the rights of so many? The founding fathers knew how important God was to "the people" and yet some choose to ignore that or slant the writings their way. I don't understand it, but it scares for my grandkids growing up. How can you walk through this life, lose someone very special to you and not go crazy thinking you will never see then again. The one thing that has kept with any resemblance of sanity (and there are those that will question that statement) is knowing I will see Jerry again some day. If I thought for one minute that I would never see him again I truly would go out of my mind. So please, enjoy your Christmas, but more importantly, enjoy and praise your God. Wishing all a Happy Thanksgiving and a very Merry Christmas. I love you more than there are words to tell you - Mom/Darlene/Mimi/ and for Paw Darla and for Kensley Bob. I have to add a PS here - Shan I am so proud of you and what you have accomplished. I thought you looked great all the time, but I know how much better you feel so a big Way To Go Girl! And to Paw who asked me today if I was down in the dumps. You have to know Paw to know how special those words from him were. Thank you, Paw, and I love you, too!

1 comment:

Shan said...

Thank you for that SHOUT OUT! I still hate getting up to exercise with every ounce of my being though. Love you too...love the SOS you are sending out with your lights.