Saturday, June 7, 2008

A year since surgery

A year ago this June 12th I had major surgery. All my kids were there, Dave, Shan, Tyler, Emily, Brian, Carla, Kay all of them to see me through it. You have no idea how much it means to have your family there for you. Brian and Carla stayed with me the first night in the hospital and from then on it was Dave, Shan, and Emily. Every day and every night. Never leaving me alone. Then Carla came back and stayed a few more days with me until I was discharged to go home Brian came to my house and stayed with for a week -only they sent me home much too soon as we realized later- but when all the set backs happened there was Dave and Shan again at my bedside. One of the things I will never forget is how Shan - with her weak stomach and all - stayed with me while they put the third NG tube down my nose and throat. Dave was there for the first one and stepped out of the room for the second. Yes, she was hidden under a jacket, but her hand was out holding onto mine the whole time. You don't always find people like that and I am so lucky to have them in my family. Thank you Shan for doing things for me that I know are difficult for you to watch or hear. Like me heaving my guts out into a bucket at the hospital, and there stood Shan - who will throw up right along side of you - staying with me to help. These are my heroes! I hope you all have heroes in your life and that they are part of your family like mine are. Thank you one and all. I love you all dearly!!!

No comments: